Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Questions With The Reverend

MMA Blaster was happy to touch base with mixed martial artist Chuck "The Reverend" Grigsby. Chuck will be defending his MCC title belt on Wednesday, November 26th against Travis "Ironman" Fulton. MCC 17: Thanksgiving Showdown will take place at Val Air Ballroom in West Des Moines.
Photobucket
MMA Blaster: Rev, how's it going? Since your fight in June, how has your training changed?

Rev: First off I would like to thank you for the opportunity being on such a great website and the positive exposure MMA Blaster has given me throughout my career. I think it is one the best media outlets in the fight game.

My training has changed dramatically since I put my gym (Team Revolution) on hold and began to fully focus on myself and my training. This is the first time in my career that I have been able to walk in a gym and just be the student with no coaching or training responsibilities. It pretty ironic since I've been doing this sport since 2004, I'm surprised I've made this far to be honest, in the short time that I have been training for this fight I have seen significant improvements in all areas. I was fortunate enough to be allowed to train with Miletich Fighting Systems for about 4 or 5 weeks immediately after my last fight and soaked up as much knowledge from Pat Miltich and the guys who trained with me.

Special shout out to Josh Neer and Mike C. After the birth of my son I wasn’t able to maintain the three hour one way trip to train and now exclusively train in Des Moines at West Boxing and Central Iowa Mixed Martial Arts.

MMA Blaster: What are the biggest improvements that you have made in your fight skills since June?

Rev: I think my biggest improvement since my last fight has been mental toughness. Mitich, West Side Boxing, and Central Mixed Martial Arts have took the gloves off and really put me through a tough tough camp. People that know me know that I don’t train just for one fight, I train for multiple fights so I can obtain multiple wins and build win streaks.

MMA Blaster: What do you know about Travis Fulton? Any comments on the fight?

Rev: All I know about my opponent is that he is very experienced and a tough hard nose type guy who likes to get down and grind out fights. That's just the type of fighter I need to face to begin another chapter in the fight game. I think its good match up stylistically for the fans because he may just try to stand a little bit. I expect a very physical fight.

MMA Blaster: How has parenthood treated you? How has it changed your outlook on life and fighting?

Rev: My outlook has definitely changed as a fighter with birth of my son Xander, he and my wife have been the strength and cornerstone of my strength and purpose throughout times of adversity

MMA Blaster: What are your goals for 2009?

Rev: My goals for 09' are to win, win, win! I'm a “free agent” now that the WEC has dropped my weight class, 205. I can fight anywhere at anytime, so I'll do that, but first thing first, November 26th when I defend one of my titles for the second time with Midwest Cage Championships here in Des Moines. I'm excited to fight for MCC again. They are a great promotion that has awesome fans who understand and respect the sport.

Photobucket

Photobucket
(Pictured: Chuck "The Reverend" Grigsby")

*MMA Blaster would like to thank Rev for his time and kind words.
*Tickets for MCC: 17 can be purchased at Ticketmaster, the Val Air box office and http://www.midwestcagechampionship.com/
*Mike C. is Mike Ciesnolevicz, a former IFL fighter with notable wins over Aaron Stark, Alex Schoenauer and Brent Beauparlant.
*Josh Neer has fought 7 times in the UFC with wins over Din Thomas, Joe Stevenson and Melvin Guillard.

MCC 17 RESULTS

Ryan Langmaid def. Shane Mosby Sub (Rear Naked Choke) R1, 3:24
Heath Johnson def. Josh Christenson Sub (Verbal) R2, 3:49
Jesse Lund def. Phil Dawes Sub (Rear Naked Choke) R1, 2:16
TJ O'Brien def. Will Shutt Sub (Triangle Choke) R2, 1:43
Zak Cummings def. Cole Jennet Sub (Neck Crank) R1, 2:11
Chuck Grigsby def. Chad Vance TKO R1, 2:59

No comments: